Tuesday 29 March 2011

Another Season begins!

Well it's been a long winter and I'm sorry for the dearth of updates! Still Spring is in the air (if not the sea quite yet) and the diving season approaches.

The surf has been outstanding so I haven't felt like my lack of diving has meant I'm missing out on quality sea time. There have been lovely sunny days and offshore winds, you can't beat it! So far this year I have only dived twice. Firstly at a secluded cove to take a friend hunting (with a camera) for seals as part of a photography project. The day was calm and sunny but the sea was cold and murky and although we found three or four grey seals who did investigate us quite closely, the visibility unfortunately meant no photographs were got. They seemed defensive rather than playful, probably due to the proximity to a cave they may use to rest.

My second dive was my first spear of the season and once again the water was cold and murky. My breathe holds were also terrible and I felt a distinct lack of confidence which reduced my bottom times considerably. The incredibly low tides were a good opportunity to visit a local wreck which was in very shallow water and great fun to dive around. Especially as a lot of the sand that normally covered it had been washed away and the kelp that normally festoons the metalwork has yet to grow back.

Finally as I returned, shivering to shore having seen nothing but a few Wrasse, a small shoal of Grey Mullet emerged out of the murk, the largest of which came home with me for dinner.

A good start to the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment