Monday 3 August 2009

Introduction

I have lived by the sea all my life and have always surfed, snorkeled and generally enjoyed the ocean. I've been lucky enough to have snorkeled all around the world, and spent some of my childhood years in Jeddah enjoying the fantastic reefs of the red sea. Unfortunately it was around this time I saw Jaws which gave me an enduring fear which took me years to overcome! That didn't stop me getting in the water, just led to the occasional panic!

I have only done one assisted scuba dive, which I enjoyed but did not make me more inclined to learn. I have always been put off by the amount of equipment involved. I recently read a passage that struck a chord with me:


Scuba is not as Jacques Cousteau famously put it, 'an entry into the Silent World'. The sound of one's own breathing is amplified and compounded by the demand valve of the scuba tank. Air bubbles escaping the regulator mouthpiece make a constant burbling noise.......Underwater , the noise of my own breathing reminds me that I am an unnatural visitor to this world. A sibilant, sucking , respirator sound fills my throat and mouthpiece...”
Time Ecott. Neutral Bouyancy. 2001

A few people have suggested I write a blog of my underwater adventures so I thought I'd give it a try, please excuse my poor spelling and writing - hopefully I can get some good footage to make up for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment